- Select the desired cable construction. For example, 1×7 is the stiffest while 7×19 is the most flexible.
- Determine the environmental effects that the cable will be exposed to. Stainless steel should be used for any critical outside applications.
- Determine what the cable and assembly breaking strength needs to be based upon the working load plus a safety factor.
- Remember that the cable assembly strength will usually be less than the tensile strength of the cable.
- Based upon items 3 and 4, determine the cable diameter to be used.
- Determine the type of end fitting that will be required for attachment of the cable for your particular application. Our Design Engineers can help with this selection.
- Consider cable assembly tolerances. Cables are flexible entities and not suitable for very tight length tolerances without adding cost.